An Internship with us in Sri Lanka
We offer three (3) internships simultaneously, each for between 12- 52 weeks.
one (1) internship will be without cost to the intern
we expect this to be in a management capacity to develop both your skills and our work here.
two (2) internships will cost each intern *£250 / calendar month
- covering food, accommodation, and 24 hour support
- (food & accommodation in Sri Lanka cost budget travellers between £350-£500/28 days)
These Internships are designed to enable you and us to make progress with our respective aims..
Our three (3) areas for Internship
- Hospitality, Hostel Management, Catering, and Tourism Development
- English Language, & German Language Teaching, and Project Support
- Infrastructure Building Work, & NGO Development
Any combinations of the above
Your costs, in addition to your monthly fee for accommodation
your visas - Entry Visa (£45), and Residence Visa (£100) plus visa admin Fee (£60) (The visa admin fee must be paid in advance).
Interns will receive from us:
- 7 days / week accommodation at the Fig and Gecko's hostel or staff accommodation
- 7 days breakfast at the Fig and Gecko
- 7 days evening meal or lunch at the Fig and Gecko
- Full support during your time in Sri Lanka
- After 12 weeks of Internship, we will repay the cost of your Entry Visa (£45)
- After 38 weeks of Internship we will give you £200, a contribution to your flight to us
- After 52 weeks of Internship we will give you a further £200, a contribution to your return flight
- After 52 weeks of internship, we shall repay to you the cost of your Residence Visa
Without Flights, you will pay us a total of £3,610
Should you volunteer for 52 weeks, we shall repay to you £605
*This sum does not include personal living expenses, any transport at any time, nor any food or accommodation purchased away from the Fig and Gecko
- Aged 21 - 60
- A clear focus on what you'd like to achieve from your internship, how it can help us and how we can help you.
- Outgoing, friendly, adaptable, patient, focussed, an initiator
- To be willing to teach and coach English in a variety of settings
- Excellent English skills, for writing and communication
- To be willinging to work without supervision, and to be able to set your own goals and outcomes within the remit of the post
- excellent timekeeping
- To be willing to stand in and support our operations outside of your normal volunteering hours, should the need require it.
- To be the representative and ambassador of Give A Fig Volunteering. Give A Fig NGO, and the Fig and Gecko
- To take on the role of manager alongside our Sri Lankan manager
- To encourage guests of the Fig and Gecko,as well as our volunteers, to post on social media on our behalf.
- To post regular updates yourself on our social media pages and blog in order to raise our profile
- To have had all of the UK Foreign Office advised inoculations prior to joining us in Sri Lanka.
- To have signed our letter of voluntary agreement (see below under Internships Overview), which also acknowledges that you have read and accepted our booking terms and conditions
- To have your own travel insurance, which covers volunteering
Role opportunities and expectations
Interns will have the opportunity:
- to work with young people in a variety of settings
- to support tourists who stay at Fig and Gecko make the most of their time with us in Sri Lanka
- to support our volunteers and to help them to make their project placements a success
- to develop the skills to work with people in a very different culture, skills that can be transferred to any setting
- to take on a management role to varying degrees
Internship Conditions Overview
- Internships are from 4 - 52 weeks
- Other than planned days off, and public holidays (Sri Lanka has the highest number in the world), you may have 5 days free for every 12 weeks / 54 days volunteered, to be taken as agreed, depending upon the focus of your Internship..
- The Internship is unsalaried, and each party shall sign a letter agreeing to the above conditions, with amendments as negotiated, to show that we have entered into a non-binding voluntary agreement.
We can support you to gain a TESOL / TEFL qualification, up to 250 Hours, which you can find out about here.
If you think we might be right for each other, click the Apply Today Button and begin a conversation with us