Our prices are listed in GBP £. Use a currency converter, such as XE , to get a guide to the price in your currency.
We make our volunteering as affordable as we possibly can, and we believe that our prices reflect this.The longer you stay, the cheaper the average price / week it becomes, which you can see in the table below.
We actively encourage friends, and group bookings, and we have given discounts to encourage that too.
Finally, at the bottom of the page, you will see what the price you pay does and does not cover, so that we are fully transparent in all we do.
INDIVIDUAL PLACEMENT PRICES 2017 - 18
Discounts for groups of 2+ on our 2-4 week placements*
Costs Not Included in the Project Price
- Entry Visa (£45) payable at the SL High Commission, London (nor any charges associated with postage / collection in the UK). Prices for Entry Visas obtained in other countries may vary.
- Residency Visa (for stays over 30 days), RS 20,000 for UK passport holders.
- Residency Visa admin fee, RS 3,500 (this can only be obtained in Colombo).
- Travel Insurance (which must cover volunteering)
- DBS certificate/s.
- Airport transfer to us can be had by public bus for about £2.50. For airport pickup to Anuradhapura, add approx £130 for a minibus for groups / £80 for a car. Pickup to Colombo is about £20 by hire car and driver. About £1.50 by public bus. Follow this link for all transport options.
- Accommodation upgrades within our accommodation to ensuites (plus £10/night) / twin rooms (roobicle with windows plus £6/night, roobicle without windows £4/night) / other hotels / and Fig and Gecko approved homestays.
- TESOL Courses
- Craft courses e.g. pottery / basket weaving / photography...
- Medical requirements following drs / government advice
- Transport costs to the Sri Lanka project placements (typically from 13p UK / day for individuals on public transport)
- Minibus/car and driver hire for groups to and from the projects (from £25/day depending on group size / destination).
- Tuk tuk, seats 3, from £1. in town area.
- Materials used by groups on our Infrastructure Projects (see under 'Donations' for infrastructure costs.)
- Materials used by groups for practical activities (arts/crafts) in schools / village learning centres.
- Set Lunch, should you return to the Fig and Gecko and wish to eat, will cost approx LKR 500 /£3 pp with water. (see our Fig and Gecko website for all menu options.
- Airport transfer to the airport at the end of the placement
- Fig and Gecko Tours (whether before, during, or after the project, are not included in the pricing)
- Bunk accommodation at our HQ/Fig and Gecko prior to your start day, or after your end day day, which with breakfast, is charged at USD $10/day.
- Weekend stays, including standard B&B breakfast are charged at USD $10/day on booking, and will be shown as extra on your invoice. Should you fully vacate your room on the weekend (luggage will be put into storage), these non-volunteering nights will be refunded.
- Washing machines (not standard in Sri Lankan homes / hostels / hotels) at RS 350/load.
Costs Included in the Project Price
- Entry Visa admin fee payable in Sri Lanka
- 24 hour support in Sri Lanka
- 5 nights’ accommodation with breakfast in our hostel, coinciding with your 4 volunteering days.
- Evening meal on your 4 volunteering days/week
- Materials and equipment for your teaching project placements.
- Local induction.
- Placement training, and support
- Local language interpreters (where necessary)
- Hot water showers (not standard in Sri Lankan accommodation).
- Toilet paper (not standard in Sri Lankan homes / nor in hostels / hotels that do not cater for westerners).
Do you have a question that we haven't answered in our FAQs?
If you have all the information you need: